WELCOME TO MY KITCHEN










WELCOME TO MY KITCHEN!!
I hope you enjoy the food!!!

Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Christmas Ham and Dessert

OMG!

A friend told me yesterday that she doesn't glaze her Christmas ham!!! Has never had a glazed ham in fact! How can this be? I would never dream of an unglazed ham - an unglazed ham seems almost naked in my mind.  If there is one thing that typifies Christmas to me, it is that lovely, sweetly glazed ham. So moist, and sweet, and the smell of if it the oven just makes my mouth salivate. So to think of Christmas with a ham straight out of the fridge - well it just seems Un-christmas to me!

I know that last year I gave you my recipe for the best ham glaze ever, but just in case you weren't around last year, here it is again, and also a photo so you will see just how lovely our ham looked on the big day!

I really think I got it right this year. Slowly basted it, every 15 minutes or so. Did not add the chopped macadamias until the ham was nice and sticky - that way they didn't all end up in the bottom of the pan, going to waste!

The Best Ham Glaze Ever!!


1 x 365g jar of ginger, lemon and lime marmalade (I used Buderim brand)
2 tbs sweet chili sauce
2/2 cup of brown sugar
2 tbs Dijon mustard
100g chopped roasted salted macadamia nuts



Preheat oven to 150C.

Position oven shelf to lowest position in the oven.

Use a large disposable roasting pan.  Line with 2 sheets of baking paper.  Remove the rind from the ham.

Use a sharp knife to score the ham fat into a diamond pattern.  Make sure that you don't cut any deeper than about 5mm.  Place the ham into the roasting pan.


Combine the marmalade, sweet chilli sauce, brown sugar, and Dijon mustard in a bowl.

Baste the ham with a thin layer of the glaze. You want to build up the layers of sweet goodness - so take it slow, and baste frequently. Once you have a good amount of stickiness, start adding small amounts of the chopped macadamias.

Total baking time will be around 1 - 1/2 hours, don't go too long though, or you may dry out the ham.

Cover and allow to rest while you make the other components of your Christmas feast!




How lovely does that ham look???

Of course that was just one component of the meal.  Roast pork and roasted vegetables sat alongside that magnificent ham!

For dessert I decided to do a tropical version of my dacquoise.  Same base - used white chocolate instead of dark, and used different fruit.  This one had sliced fresh mango, passionfruit, chopped white chocolate and some of the chopped salted macadamias from the ham!!  To add a little zing I added dollops of home made lemon butter to the middle layer along with the whipped cream!


The dacquois certainly is a great little dessert to add to your repertoire - very versatile.  You can make the "meringue" the day before, and assemble it several hours ahead of time (this allows the meringue to soften with the cream).  Change the chocolate, change the fruit, and you have a totally new dessert!!!

I like to think of the dacquoise as the "sophisticated pavlova!!"




So there you have snippets from our Christmas dinner.  I hope you all had a lovely day with your family and friends, and most of all I hope you all had good food!!!

1 comment:

  1. you'll be horrified - I have to confess i have never glazed a ham either until this year! and i think i will never not do it again! - was amazing - we did cider and orange.

    ReplyDelete