WELCOME TO MY KITCHEN










WELCOME TO MY KITCHEN!!
I hope you enjoy the food!!!

Saturday, November 12, 2011

Beef Sliders on Soft Potato Buns

I am only a new convert to the ipad (in fact I think I am probably the last person on earth who didn't have an ipad!) - so I am only just starting to embrace the world of cooking apps and magazines.  I can't say that I am overly in love with them, but by the same token, I don't hate them either.

There is the advantage of being able to have your ipad open on the bench while you are cooking, and not cluttering your complete bench top with magazines or recipe books.  But the thing that I can't embrace is the fact that I can't stand there and flip through the magazine as easily as I could with all the magazines on the bench.  As I said I am new to all of this, but trying to find the page that something is on seems a little more cumbersome, I flip through the thumbnails, only to have the one I want whiz right by.

I recently purchased the MasterChef app - only to have it not work once I had purchased it (apparently there are some bugs there that still need to be ironed out) - what the lovely people at MasterChef Magazine  did was send me a copy of the old fashioned paper version!!!

In the November edition there was an article called "Top 6 Party Plates".  One of the dishes that caught my eye was the Beef Sliders - "The Darlings" are fond of their burgers, and when I can make the mince, and the buns myself, so much the better.

I did not make the sliders exactly to the recipe, the recipe included a slaw, which I knew "The Darlings" wouldn't eat, so here is the version I made.



Beef Sliders on Soft Potato Buns
Adapted from MasterChef Magazine, November edition

Makes 20

115g packet Deb Instant Mashed Potato with Onion
60g 1(1/2 cup) finely grated colby cheese
150g (1 cup) self raising flour
2 tsp dijon mustard
1 tbs olive oil
1 egg yolk, whisked with 1 tbs water, for eggwash
1 tbs sesame seeds
800g beef rump steaks, trimmed, cut into 2cm cubes
4 middle bacon rashers, cut into 2 cm pieces
2 tbs whole egg mayonnaise
bread and butter pickles
roma tomatoes, sliced

Preheat oven to 210 degrees C.  Line a large oven tray with baking paper.

To make the buns, combine the instant mashed potato, cheese and flour in a bowl (or the Thermomix).  Whisk together the mustard, oil and 220ml of water in a small bowl.  Add to the flour mixture.  Stir to form a dough. (Knead on interval function until the dough comes together.).

Divide the dough into 20 pieces.  Roll each portion into 3.5cm balls, then place on the tray and flatten slightly.  Brush with the eggwash, then sprinkle with sesame seeds.

Bake in the oven for 15 minutes, or until golden and risen.  Cool slightly, then cut in half horizontally.

To make the beef patties, place 200g amounts of beef and 1/4 of the bacon into the TM bowl.  Put on closed lid position and press Turbo 3 - 4 times, or until the mince is the texture you desire.  Remove from TM bowl, and set aside.  Repeat until all the meat and bacon has been processed.  Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.  Using oiled hands, shape the mixture into 20 x 5cm patties.

To cook the patties, heat 1 tbs of olive oil in a large frying pan over high heat.  Cook the patties for 1-2 minutes, or until cooked to your liking.  Drain on paper towel.

To assemble each bun, spread each base with a little mayonnaise, top with a pickle, meat patty, and tomato slice.  (you may also like to add a small cheese slice to the equation too!!!).  Of course some fries won't go astray either!



Now watch those puppies just slide off the plate and into all those hungry bellies!!!!

They were a little more time consuming to make than regular burgers, but I am getting repeat requests for them, so that must mean they were good!

The buns were quite different too - I will definitely make them again!


1 comment:

  1. No not the last person on earth. I have no ipad and no plans to get one either :) Diane

    ReplyDelete