WELCOME TO MY KITCHEN










WELCOME TO MY KITCHEN!!
I hope you enjoy the food!!!

Thursday, September 8, 2011

Glazed Salmon with Roast Pumpkin, Wombok and Cashew Salad

The other night there was a decided "Springness" to the air - so I decided it was time to lighten up a little, and adjust the meals accordingly.

A nice healthy salad and a piece of salmon will always do the trick as far as I am concerned.  I purchased the salmon, but wasn't entirely sure what I was going to do with it exactly - but not to worry though - there is always something on hand to improvise with at my house.

I had seen a salad that appealed to me while perusing some older copies of Good Food Magazine.  It was a lovely Roast Pumpkin Salad - looked very healthy looking (well apart from the fried noodles - but I didn't use that many!!!).



Easy Salmon Marinade

1/4 cup mirin
2 tbs cooking sake
1/4 cup light soy sauce
2 tbs caster sugar

Combine all ingredients in a large glass bowl.  Add salmon pieces and allow to marinate for at least 1 hour.

When ready to cook, heat a large frying pan over medium high heat.  Add a small amount of rice bran oil to the pan.  Place the salmon in the pan skin side down.  Cook for 3 minutes, or until the skin is crispy.  Turn over and cook for an additional 3 minutes, or until cooked to your liking.  During the last minute of cooking add some of the marinade to the pan and allow it to bubble up around the salmon pieces - this will give it a lovely golden glaze!!

Serve with Pumpkin Salad and steamed rice.



Roast Pumpkin, Wombok and Cashew Salad
Adapted from recipe found in Good Food Magazine, May 2011 edition

Serves 4

800g pumpkin, peeled, cut into small cubes
Garlic olive oil spray
juice of 1 lime
1 tbs fish sauce
1 tsp caster sugar
freshly ground black pepper
1 tsp sesame oil
2 tsp rice bran oil
crispy fried noodles
1/2 wombok (chinese cabbage) finely shredded
2 green onions, finely chopped
1 cup coriander leaves, chopped
1/2 cup mint, finely shredded
1/2 cup thai basil, roughly torn
100g roasted unsalted cashews

Preheat the oven to 200 degrees.  Place the pumpkin cubes on a baking tray that has been lined with baking paper.  Spray the pumpkin liberally with the garlic olive oil spray.  Bake in oven for 20-30 minutes, or until the pumpkin is tender and golden.  Set aside to cool.

Combine the lime juice, fish sauce, sugar, pepper and oils in a small screw top jar.  Place lid on and shake to combine.

Place the cabbage, green onions, herbs, cashews, noodles and cooled pumpkin in a large salad bowl.  Add dressing, toss to combine and serve immediately.


This post has been brought to you today by the NSW Government School Teacher's Strike.  Lucky me - the teachers have all gone on strike, and "The Darlings" are at home for the day!!!!  Mind you I have used it to my advantage - I told them that yes, they could stay home on the proviso that they get a hair cut - it was that or go to school with the few other children that had no where else to go today!!  Worked a charm - they now look respectable - all ready for their big trip to Japan in a couple of weeks time!  Won't I be enjoying the peace and quiet then???

So Dear Readers do you have to bribe your children to get them to do what you want them to do?  Hair cuts seem to be the big one in this house - they like to grow their hair from the end of one rugby reason until the start of the next - I suppose it helps save $$$$ but they do start to look a little shaggy!

2 comments:

  1. I laughed reading your day with your darlings at home due to the teacher's strike. Love the peace and quietness when the kids are gone but I do miss their laughter when the house is quiet and "empty".

    Totally agree that this dish is perfect for Spring. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmmmm I love salmon and I love pumpkin so there is no doubt that I would love this dish. Hope all well Diane

    ReplyDelete