WELCOME TO MY KITCHEN










WELCOME TO MY KITCHEN!!
I hope you enjoy the food!!!

Monday, August 15, 2011

Garlic Overload!

When you are a child all you dream about is the time when you are old enough to make your own decisions - to be an adult!  These last two weeks all I have wanted is to be a child again, and not have to make the hard decisions.

How can I make that ultimate decision that takes my child's best friend away from him forever??

Every day as I grumble about the extra washing that I have to do, and as I carry the dog outside to hopefully relieve me of a little extra washing I wish him far.  But when the decision time came, and we had set a deadline, (which the vet helped counsel us on) I could not follow through.  I just could not do it.  From somewhere I heard the words come from my mouth - "let's give Buster another week - let's just see if we get a sign that he is getting better" (god I am such a wimp!!!) - but lo and behold Buster rallied today (d'day!!) and sent me a sign - he sat up - he attempted to stand, and I even cajoled him to walk (if only but a step).  My faith in life was restored!  So Buster lives to see another week, and hopefully a few more on top of that.

This is a food blog, and I know that is why you have come here - so even thought the posts have been few and far between of late - here is a meal I whipped up in the Thermomix the other night.  Garlic Bread, and Creamy Garlic Prawns with Rice.  Can you ever have too much garlic????  I think not!!!

I found the recipe for the Creamy Garlic Prawns here.  The only comment I can make about this recipe is that I felt that there was a little too much sauce (and I had increased the amount of prawns to 1kg).  What I would do next time is reduce the amount of chicken stock to perhaps 1/2 cup.  I would also probably reduce the cooking time to 5 minutes, and check - adding extra time if needed.  (I felt the prawns were a little tough - I tend to err on the undercooked, and then add extra time rather than go too far overboard!)  Other than that I thought it was a fabulous recipe - and that the flavour was great -  I also loved the fact that I could "saute" my prawns in the Thermomix - something that I have done again to get prawns ready for a pizza!!!

Of course prior to making the Garlic Prawns I cooked my rice in the TM - and placed it in the Thermoserver while making the Creamy Garlic Prawns - making this a complete meal cooked in the Thermomix!!!!



To go with the Garlic Prawns one must have Garlic Bread!!!! (there will be no vampires in this household that's for sure!!!)



Wholemeal Garlic Bread

1 whole head of garlic
100g whole wheat grain
300g lukewarm water
15g dry yeast
1 tsp salt
420g bakers flour
150g grated tasty cheese, plus extra for garnish
20g olive oil

Preheat oven to 200 degrees.  Lightly wrap garlic head in foil.  Bake in preheated oven for 15-20 minutes, or until the garlic is soft and slightly caramelised.  Allow to cool for 5-10 minutes, or until cool enough to handle.

Place the whole wheat grain into the TM bowl.  Mill for 1 minute on speed 9.

Add the water, then the yeast, salt and flour and oil.  Mix for 5 seconds on speed 7 to combine. Gently squeeze the garlic from their skins, and add the garlic and grated cheese to the TM bowl.

Set dial to closed lid position.  Knead the dough for 1 minute 30 seconds on Interval speed.

Place the dough in a lightly oiled bowl, in a warm position to prove for 20-30 minutes, or until dough has doubled in size.

Once the dough has risen, divide into three equal portions.  Plait the dough, and place on baking paper.  Sprinkle extra grated cheese on top and bake in preheated oven for 20-25 minutes, or until golden.




















As you can imagine - we were all given wide berth the next day (due to severe garlic breath!!!).

Just another little handy tip - this garlic bread makes a fantastic toast to serve your poached eggs on the next morning (just in case you have not had enough garlic that is!!!!!)

So, Buster lives to see another week, and Jack has his best friend at his side still.  I hope and pray that Buster can continue to improve because I can't bear to break Jack's heart!


16 comments:

  1. I wish you all the best with Buster, sad for everyone that you know the time is around the corner but even more difficult for Jack. I could easily cry for you.
    Can I come to dinner please love prawns and garlic bread! Take care , chin up. Diane

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Diane for you thoughts and wishes. You are more than welcome here any time you would like to drop by - always prawns on the menu here (in case you haven't already figured that out!!!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really hope Buster is ok. It just amazes me what your thermie does. that bread looks perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh that Buster - sounds like he's going to stick around for awhile yet...hopefully! BTW - we're planning the Westfield adventure on a Sunday in a few weeks. Keen?

    ReplyDelete