WELCOME TO MY KITCHEN










WELCOME TO MY KITCHEN!!
I hope you enjoy the food!!!

Sunday, June 26, 2011

Satay Prawns on the BBQ

When I asked Mr. CCC what he wanted for dinner, bearing in mind that I had brought prawns, he told me he wanted prawns, on skewers, on the BBQ.  Who am I to argue with that - it makes an incredibly easy meal from my standpoint.  Make the marinade, thread the skewers and cook the rice - he can do the rest (outside in the freezing cold!!!)

I have had a bit of a disjointed couple of days - I didn't really plan my grocery shop too well, and just sort of bought a bunch of "stuff" hoping in the end it would all work out.  We were one down for all weekend, so it kind of meant I could take it sort of easy anyway.  "The Darlings" had requested tacos for dinner - so I set all the ingredients out and let them cook the taco meat themselves.  Of course having Thermie there to help makes it oh so easy - child's play actually!!!  In fact that is one of the great things about the Thermomix - it is really good for the kids to start getting them more involved with the cooking.

I had just received my delivery of Thermomix Cookbooks in the last couple of days, so on the way to rugby I leafed through the one entitled "A Seafood Bounty" looking for some ideas for the prawns - what should I find - but a photo of Spicy Satay Prawns on Skewers!!! Perfect - had all the ingredients - there's our dinner!!



Spicy Satay Marinade for Prawns
Adapted From A Seafood Bounty - Thermomix Cookbook

1 kg green prawns, peeled, tails still on
1 large piece fresh ginger, peeled
1 clove garlic
2 MC of crunchy peanut butter (approx 4 tbs)
300g water
2 tbs chinese cooking wine
1 tbs light soy sauce
2 tbs lemon juice
2 tbs honey
2 tbs curry powder
1 tsp cumin

Place the ginger and garlic into the TM bowl and chop for 6 seconds on speed 7.  Place all the remaining ingredients in the TM bowl and mix for 3-6 seconds on speed 6.

Pour the marinade over the prawns and allow to marinade for 1-4 hours.

Thread onto skewers.



Place the marinade that is left over into a small saucepan.  Bring to the boil over medium heat.  Simmer while the prawns are cooking.

Cook on the BBQ for 2-3 minutes each side, or until cooked through.



Serve the skewers with steamed jasmine rice and satay sauce on the side.



This was really far too easy a meal to even warrant this blog - but boy was it good!!!  Perhaps because there was so little work involved!!

The flavours were great - the only thing I might do differently next time is use coconut milk instead of the water - but really it worked pretty well as it was!!!  If you don't have a Thermomix - simply blend in a food processor.

So last night - the marinade was made in Thermie, "The Darlings" Taco meat was made in Thermie, and the rice was steamed in Thermie - so there was hardly any washing up last night!!! Got to love that!!!

So Dear Readers what is your idea of a really easy dinner?  Is it something you can throw on the BBQ?  Or do you have someone that will cook for you to give you a break?

Hope you have all had a nice weekend - I know we have had a nice quiet one!!!!

2 comments:

  1. Looks yummy indeed, i love that mr CCC cooked in the cold! I don't know if I could convince my hubby. A really easy dinner to me is when I am organised and have a quick to prepare and cook meal on the menu. If i am unorganised it is usually throw what i have in the fridge/pantry on a pita and bake!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As I don't like peanut butter I am not too sure about this recipe but I do love BBQ anything. If in a whirl with no time to cook much, pasta is my standby every-time. I love my own home made pasta but I always keep a packet in stock for that quick meal. Diane

    ReplyDelete