WELCOME TO MY KITCHEN










WELCOME TO MY KITCHEN!!
I hope you enjoy the food!!!

Sunday, June 5, 2011

Lentil Soup

If there was a link that I could add in here to let you smell the aromas wafting past me from the kitchen right now you guys would be drooling!!

I have just finished making my soup of the week.  Regular readers will know that I have embarked on an endeavour to fill up my "never to be filled up Prader Willi" child with soup for his lunch each day at school.  Must say it seems to be working (as much as it can!!!).

I have made Pumpkin Soup, Minestrone, Paste e Fagioli and Chilli Beef soup so far.  Today, another hearty vegetable based soup - Lentil Soup.  I'm starting to feel like I should apply for a job in a soup kitchen!!! Plenty of experience!

I found this recipe in the latest edition of Delicious Magazine - it is a recipe by Jill Dupleix.  I love Jill's recipes, they always work out, and they are always full of flavour.  This one is no exception!
Lentil Soup
From Delicious Magazine, June Edition - By Jill Dupleix

Serves 4-6

2 tbs extra virgin olive oil
1 leek (pale part only) thinly sliced
2 carrots, finely chopped
2 celery stalks (leaves included) finely chopped
2 tbs tomato paste
1 cup green or brown lentils (I used French Style Black)
2 litres (8 cups) vegetable stock *
400g can chopped tomatoes
400g can cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
2 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp smoked paprika

Crusty bread and chopped flat leaf parsley to serve

* I used 4 tbs of Thermomix Concentrated Vegetable Stock and 8 cups of water.

Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat.  Add the leek, carrot and celery, then cook stirring, for 3-4 minutes until softened.  Add the tomato paste and cook for 1 minute.  Add the lentils and stock and bring to the boil.  Reduce the heat to medium low and simmer gently for 1 hour, or until the lentils are tender.  Make sure to skim the surface occasionally.

Add the tomato, cannellini beans, coriander, and paprika, Cook, stirring occasionally for an additional 20 minutes or until the soup is thick.  Season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper.

Ladle soup into a bowl, and top with chopped parsley and a drizzle of olive oil, with crusty bread on the side.


Now how's that for a good hearty (cheap) meal!!!  You know what would go great with this - the garlic and feta cheese bread I made the other night!!!!

Yes, I realise there are no garnishings on this bowl - I merely ladled out a bowl to take a photo for you Dear Readers - it has all been put into a large container to be dutifully heated up each morning before school.  (Is my halo shining?  Or am I just imagining that I am the PWS mum of the year???)

As for the other smells emanating from my kitchen - I decided to try my hand at making a massaman curry from scratch - but more about that another time!!!!  Oh the aromas - wish you were here to smell it!!!!  Shall we eat it tonight, or leave it for a day to mature in flavour????

If you ever want to drop by, Sunday is the day - there is usually something on the simmer in this house!!!

4 comments:

  1. I love lentil soup & this sounds pretty tasty...and simple too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been searching for a favourite lentil soup recipe for a while now - this could very well be the one! Look forward to trying it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love lentils this sounds really yummy for a winter day. Diane

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am loving your weekly soup inspiration - thanks. I have been making soup weekly this winter too - it makes a great dinner then lots of lunches. I have also made minestrone and pumpkin, as well as pea and ham, lamb shank and pearl barley and a curry lentil soup (this is great - recipe on my blog). Can't wait to see what you make next.

    ReplyDelete