WELCOME TO MY KITCHEN










WELCOME TO MY KITCHEN!!
I hope you enjoy the food!!!

Sunday, May 15, 2011

Kaffir Lime and Chilli Pilaf with Blue Eye Cod



The theme for this fortnight's Cookbook Challenge is blue!  I have thought long and hard about what I could cook that was blue.  I googled "blue recipes" - didn't have huge success there - lots of recipes for blueberry this and blueberry that - so I figured that would be what most people offered, but not me.  I could go the route of making a cake that was blue - but I didn't really fancy that idea too much.

So what did I do?  I decided to think outside the box.

Growing up in the 60's and 70's there wasn't the huge array of fish available at fish shops that there is today.  My dad was a salesman and used to travel and dine out a bit.  Whenever he went to a "fancy" restaurant (remember this is the 60's and 70's) he would more often than not order "blue eye", and then come home and tell us how good it was.  During these times it was probably one of the few fish that was served thick - like a steak!  Once blue eye became more popular we would often have it at home.  Somehow, over the years I have neglected buying this fish - I always tend to steer towards salmon or ocean trout.  But.... for this challenge I am revisiting Blue Eye - it may not be actually blue - but it does have blue in it's name!!!



Kaffir Lime and Chilli Pilaf with Blue Eye Cod
Adapted From Taste.com.au - Recipe by Emma Braz

Serves 6

60ml canola oil
1 brown onion, halved, thinly sliced
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 tbs finely chopped ginger
1 stalk lemon grass (white part only), finely chopped
1 red chilli, seeds removed, finely chopped
2 tsp ground coriander
5 kaffir lime leaves (2 leaves joined = 1), centre vein removed, thinly cut (use scissors)
2 cups (400g) brown rice, rinsed drained
4 cups (1800g) water
60ml (1/4 cup) soy sauce
100g toasted slivered almonds
1/4 cup continental parsley, coarsely chopped
2 tbs red curry paste
6 blue eye cod fillets
lime wedges to serve

I am going to make this using the thermomix - so I will give two methods.  I am also going to halve the recipe.  So the Thermomix version reflects the changes in amounts.

Conventional:
Heat 1 tbs of the oil in a large heavy based saucepan over medium heat.  Add the onion, garlic, ginger, lemon grass, chilli, coriander and lime leaves, and cook, stirring for 3 minutes, or until onion softens.  Add the rice and stir to combine.

Stir in the water and soy sauce, and bring to the boil.  Reduce heat to low and simmer, covered for 50 minutes, or until the rice is tender and the liquid is absorbed.  Remove from heat.  Stir in the almonds and parsley.


Thermomix:
Add the onion, garlic, ginger, lemon grass and chilli to the TM bowl, chop for 3 seconds on speed 7, or until chopped to desired consistency.  Add 1 tbs of oil to the TM bowl and saute for 2 minutes at 100 degrees on speed 1.  Add the rice (200g) and stir using reverse, speed 1 for 30 seconds.

Add 900g water and the soy sauce (1 tbs).  Cook for 50 minutes at varoma temperature on speed 4, or until the rice is tender and the liquid is absorbed.  Make sure the MC is not in place, cover hole with a piece of paper towel.

Add the almonds and parsley and mix using reverse, speed 1 for 30 seconds.



To cook the fish:
Meanwhile preheat a large frypan on high heat.  Combine the remaining oil and curry paste in a bowl.  Brush both sides of the fish with the curry mixture.



Cook the fish for 2 minutes each side, or until just cooked.

Spoon pilaf on serving plates, and top with the fish.  Garnish with lime wedges.



So there you have my contribution to the Blue Theme.  A little bit tricky???  Does it qualify??  You tell me.


6 comments:

  1. I think I am going to have to look for a thermomix it seems to do everything. I have never heard of blue eye cod but I am sure it qualifies. Diane

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks delicious, i am always looking for good fish dishes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great idea Cate! I love blue eye!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks delicious. I love rice dishes with lime in them. So fresh.

    ReplyDelete
  5. nice idea for blue and great flavours

    ReplyDelete