WELCOME TO MY KITCHEN










WELCOME TO MY KITCHEN!!
I hope you enjoy the food!!!

Thursday, May 19, 2011

Beef with Mushroom Gravy, Garlic Mash and Brussels Sprouts

I can hear the groans out there already from Miss Piggy - Brussels Sprouts!!!  She recently made a funny comment to me about a particular something that she was asked to do, she told me she would rather eat brussels sprouts than do it!!!

The poor old brussels sprouts get a bit of a bad rap.  I think the problem being that we have all been exposed to badly cooked brussels sprouts.  I know my mum used to boil the crap out of the them - rendering them soggy and, ....well revolting.  It just so happens that overcooking them releases a substance called glucosinolate sinigrin, which produces a sulfurous smell - the main reason many of us dislike them!!!

They are actually great little veggies to add to your repertoire - having lots of healthful benefits, including having anti cancer properties.

My method of cooking is quick and flavourful.  Trust me, if you try them this way you will love them (perhaps not right away - but you will come around!!).



Beef with Mushroom Gravy
Adapted from Easy Slow Cooker Cookbook

Serves 6

1 kg chuck steak, cut into cubes
3 cloves crushed garlic
1 420g can cream of mushroom soup
1 40g pkt french onion soup mix
1tbs cornflour

Combine all the above ingredients, except the cornflour in the crockpot.  Place the lid on and cook on low for 6-8 hours.



Approximately 30 minutes before serving place the cornflour in a small bowl, ladle several spoonfuls of the gravy into the bowl with the cornflour, and mix to a thick liquid.  Add the liquid to the crock pot, and stir well to combine.  Replace the lid and put on high until serving time.

Serve with Garlic Mash and Brussels Sprouts.




Brussels Sprouts you will love!!!


500g brussels sprouts
100g pancetta, diced
1 tsp TM concentrated vegetable stock *

Place the pancetta in a large frypan over medium high heat.  Cook, stirring for 3-5 minutes, or until slightly crispy.  Add the stock concentrate, brussels sprouts and approximately 1/2 cup of water.  Cook over high heat - quickly, stirring constantly for approximately 3-5 minutes, or until the brussels sprouts are a lovely bright green.  Season with cracked black pepper.  Serve immediately.

* If you do not have access to TM vegetable stock concentrate simply use a teaspoon of chicken stock powder instead.



Trust me on this one - not smelly - lovely and crunchy, and very tasty!!!!

So tell me Dear Readers what vegetable do you have a particular aversion to?  Is it the poor brussels sprouts?  Woud you be willing to try this version?





6 comments:

  1. They do look really nice, i have to admit i have never eaten a brussel sprout i liked. But if i see them at the markets i'll buy them and try this :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. They whole meal looks wonderful to me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks like a great meal. Do you use fresh brussel sprouts or the frozen ones?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never used frozen ones - I know they say frozen is a good as fresh - but I really only ever think of brussels sprouts when I see them fresh in the fruit and veg dept.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think the 2nd pic is a different dish.

    ReplyDelete
  6. No it is how it looks pre cooking in the crock pot!

    ReplyDelete