WELCOME TO MY KITCHEN










WELCOME TO MY KITCHEN!!
I hope you enjoy the food!!!

Sunday, January 23, 2011

Fish and Two Tone Chips with Lemon Yoghurt Dressing

Still hanging in there, still eating healthily (oh my, how virtuous I am!!!).

Friday and the weekend are usually treat days, I allow myself a vino or two, but I am determined this week.  So no wine, let's splurge with the meals.

I had recently seen a recipe for sweet potato chips in the current edition of Good Taste Magazine, so I decided to go one step further (yes, you guessed the real reason - "The Darlings" wouldn't eat orange chips!!) - so I made two tone chips.  Here is my take on the recipe.



Fish and Two Tone Chips with Lemon Yoghurt Dressing
Serves 4 - 6
Adapted from Good Taste Magazine January Edition

700g sweet potato, peeled, cut into batons
700g potato, peeled, cut into batons
1tsp paprika
1 tsp dried oregano leaves
Garlic infused Olive oil spray
2/3 cup low fat natural yoghurt
1 tbs capers, rinsed, drained, chopped
1 tsp grated lemon zest *
1 tbs lemon juice *
2 tbs chopped chives

4-6 fish fillets (approx 150-200g each)
Ketchap Manis

Preheat the oven to 200C.  Line two baking trays with baking paper.

Steam the sweet potato and regular potato batons in a steamer.  I used the varoma and cooked them for 20 minutes at varoma temperature.  You want them to be just tender.  After they have been steamed, remove as much excess moisture from the chips as possible with paper towels.

Spray the baking paper with the garlic oil.  Place the regular potato chips on one tray.  On the second tray place the sweet potato chips, sprinkle these with the oregano and paprika.  Spray both lots with the garlic spray and bake for 15 minutes.  Toss the chips around, and bake for a further 15 minutes, or until lovely and golden.  Season with salt to taste.



In the meantime, combine the yoghurt, capers, lemon rind, lemon juice * I added slightly more than the recipe said as I like it nice and zesty!!, and parsely in a bowl.  Season with salt and pepper to taste.

Heat a frypan to medium high heat, add a little olive oil.  Cook the salmon pieces, skin side down first for approximately 5 minutes (this will depend on how thick your pieces are) if you are using tail pieces then do 3-4 minutes.  My pieces were quite thick to they too a bit longer).  Flip over and cook for the same time on the other side, or until cooked to your liking.  When they were almost cooked through I poured a little ketchap manis over the pieces just to give them a slightly sweet/salty flavour.  Be careful though - once you add this it will "caramelise" quite quickly in the frypan - so be prepared.  At this point you can either add a little water to stop the caramelisation and steam the fish slightly, or simply remove if it is cooked through.

Serve the fish with the two tone chips, a side serve of salad, and a dollop of the yoghurt dressing on top.



So you see it really wasn't that much of a treat - but it sure was nice.

How's that for gourmet fish and chips???  Can't go past salmon, can you?

3 comments:

  1. That looks healthy and delicious :) I love using kecap manis-I remember when we first discovered it we covered everything with it (which necessitated a ban on it for a while :P ).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love salmon (wild rather than farmed) and sweet potato is one of our favourite vegetables. This would be a treat to me. Diane

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds delicious! I havent had sweet potato chips for ages.

    ReplyDelete