WELCOME TO MY KITCHEN










WELCOME TO MY KITCHEN!!
I hope you enjoy the food!!!

Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Vietnamese Beef Salad

I don't think we have gone particularly overboard in the food department this Christmas, but I was hankering for something nice and light and fresh last night for dinner.  The only trouble was the weather decided to take a change for the cold - but that wasn't going to deter me.

I have been making this beef salad for so long, I don't even remember where I got the recipe for it from now.  Anyway I am sure that I have added and changed the original concept over the years.

Here is my take on a Vietnamese Beef Salad.



Vietnamese Beef Salad


Serves 4

1kg rump steak
4 tbs fish sauce
2 tbs sweet chilli sauce
2 tbs chopped ginger
4 cloves crushed garlic
1 tbs sesame oil
1/2 punnet snow pea sprouts (approx 50g)
1 cup mint leaves, roughly torn
1 cup coriander leaves, roughly chopped
1/2 cup cashews
1 - 2 punnets cherry tomatoes, halved
1 bag salad mix (approx 200g)

In a large ziploc bag combine the fish sauce, sweet chilli sauce, ginger, garlic, and sesame oil.  Add the beef and allow to marinade for at least 1 hour - longer if possible.

Combine the salad mix with the coriander and mint in a large bowl.

Barbeque the steak for 4-5 minutes each side - but keep the centre pink.  Remove and allow to stand for a couple of minutes.  Slice thinly.

Add the sliced steak to the salad leaves, top with the cashews.

Serve with sweet chilli sauce, if desired.


This is a lovely fresh, light salad.  It is so easy to prepare as well.  This is also a great marinade to make and take away with you when you go on holidays.  You can always get a steak and salad fixings wherever you are!!  If you have the marinade prepared already it makes for a good quick (healthy) meal.

So Dear Readers are you on the healthy food now, after all the Christmas food, or are you still eating leftovers - and what is your favourite Christmas leftover?

2 comments:

  1. I am waiting until I return from my wanderings and then I am strictly on healthy food!! Maybe even limited alcohol...

    Love the salad, I will be making plenty of salads when I get home and this one looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks lovely. Vietnamese Mint would be good, too if you have it.

    ReplyDelete