WELCOME TO MY KITCHEN










WELCOME TO MY KITCHEN!!
I hope you enjoy the food!!!

Saturday, November 13, 2010

Oven Baked Chicken Paella

This recipe is in the current edition of Super Food Ideas magazine.  Liss from Frills in the Hills recently blogged the same recipe.  I had been tempted to try it, and after seeing her blog, I decided to give it a go.  Me being me, in my usual style, did make a few modifications - the recipe I am giving you is my take on the recipe printed in the mag.



Oven Baked Chicken and Sausage Paella


Serves 4-6

1/2 tsp saffron threads
2 tbs boiling water
4 cups chicken stock *
2 tsp olive oil
3 sliced sausages **
1.2kg drumettes (this will give you approx 20 drumettes)
2 tbs paprika
2 onions, finely diced
3 cloves crushed garlic
2 cups arborio rice
1 cup frozen peas
chargrilled capsicum ***

Preheat oven to 180C.

Place saffron threads in a small heatproof bowl, cover with boiling water, and set aside until needed. (This will allow the flavours to develop).

Heat your stock until it is boiling.  Set aside (covered until needed).

Heat a large frypan over medium high heat.  Add the sausage slices, and cook on both sides until browned (2-3 minutes each side).  Transfer to a plate.  Add the chicken drumettes to the pan, sprinkle with half the paprika, and cook for approximately 5 minutes, or until browned on all sides.  Remove from pan, and place with cooked sausage.





At this point I wiped out the frypan with paper towels to remove the excess oil.

Add the olive oil, and then add the onions and garlic, cook stirring for 3 minutes, or until softened.  Add the rice, remaining paprika and saffron mixture.  Cook, stirring for 1 minute, to coat the rice.  Transfer the rice mixture to a large roasting/casserole dish.

Pour the stock over the rice, stir to combine.  Add the chicken drumettes and sausage to the dish, make sure to push the chicken down in to the stock mixture.  Pour over the peas, and chargrilled capsicum.



Cover the pan tightly with several layers of foil.  Bake in the oven for 50 minutes.  Remove from the oven and let sit for a further 10 minutes, just to let the steam finish the cooking process.



Now you may like to top this with chopped tomatoes, and parsley - but I thought it was fine as it was.

* For the chicken stock I used the concentrated stock that I made with the Thermomix - I used 3 tbs of stock concentrate added to 4 cups of boiling water.

** The recipe actually called for chorizo sausages, and I thought I had some in the freezer, but once I had thawed them out and cut into them I found that they were actually cheese kranskys.  Not to worry, these turned out probably better, as they were not as spicy for "The Darlings".  So use whatever kind of sausage you like I say!!

*** I had a bottle of chargrilled capsicum in the fridge left over from making pizzas - use as much or as little as you like of this!

All in all this was a very good, easy, family friendly dinner.  Of course those that know "the Darlings" well will already know that they had to arm themselves with a spare plate to remove any "green" objects (peas) to!!  I pray for the day to come when they will eat a vegetable without gagging!!!  I live in fear that their wives are going to berate me for the rest of my days because they are such fussy eaters!!  Lord knows I try - but they continue to remove, or gag!!!

Dear Readers do you know of any children that are as fussy as mine (please tell me a story even if you don't - just to make me feel better!)?

3 comments:

  1. Mmm I love recipes with chorizo in them! :D And baked risotto is so lovely and easy :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea, I love eating Paella and Rissoto, but the attention it needs at that critical manic time at home is just a little too much. I will be converting all my Rissotto and Paela recipes and making them in the oven. Thanks.

    My children started off fussy eaters. My method was they were allowed to leave one item from dinner each night, but only after one small mouthful(ie peas). After I thought I had desensitised them to that item enough I would include peas and say cauliflour, they were still allowed to choose one item not to eat after a mouthful. Without fail they would eat all of the first item (peas), relieved that they could avoid the second, they would then have the smallest nibble of the second item (cauliflour). It was never a battle because we didn't make it an issue. If they didn't like something I would just say, "take a taste and then leave it". That can be your one item to leave. Eventually it worked I have desensitised them to everything. 5 fussy kids, 5 WINS!!

    I was a bit sneaky in the way I instigated the "deal." They had been rejecting everything. So I said "ok, I don't want to fight at mealtimes anymore, lets do a deal. I know there are things that we eat that you don't like, so from now on you can leave one item off your plate each night if you like"

    They thought they had won the lottery.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't worry Cate!! I still know two little ones who are incredibly fussy eaters, and who used to scream and cry the moment you put down food in front of them that looks any different to what they know.

    The recipe looks fantastic though: I want to tuck into those drumsticks right now!! :)

    ReplyDelete