WELCOME TO MY KITCHEN










WELCOME TO MY KITCHEN!!
I hope you enjoy the food!!!

Friday, November 19, 2010

Middle Eastern Style Meatballs

First of all I have to say thank you to those that commented on my last post about not reading a recipe properly before commencing  -  I AM NOT ALONE!!!!  YEA!!!!

Much is the same with this recipe.  I saw a recipe in recent Super Food Ideas - it was for Lamb Kofta - I modified a few ingredients - and didn't even read the method!  I wanted to make meatballs - we have had too many skewerey things lately!!!

So for all you Dear Readers that don't like reading methods I will try and make this short and sweet!!!



Middle Eastern Style Meatballs


Makes approx 72 meatballs

1 kg lamb mince
500g beef sausage mince
1 onion, finely diced
3 cloves crushed garlic
1/2 tsp chilli flakes (optional)
1 tbs chopped fresh mint
1 tbs chopped fresh flat leaf parsely
2 tsp hungarian paprika
1/2 tsp ground ginger
2 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground coriander

Place all ingredients in a large bowl - get in there with your hands and mix well!!

Line a baking tray with foil.  Roll the meatball mixture into golf ball size meatballs.  Place on a baking tray that has been lined with foil.

Place in the fridge for 20 minutes, to firm up.

Preheat oven to 200C.

Bake the meatballs for 40-45 minutes or until cooked through and golden.  Make sure to turn halfway through cooking.

I really like baking my meatballs - apart from the fact it is way easier - I always tend to break them up when I pan fry them.  This way - they always turn out perfectly.

So what did I do with these meatballs?  I turned them into kebabs!!!

I was feeling a tad lazy so I bought some tabbouleh.  While I was making the meatballs I chopped extra mint and parsley - added this to the tabbouleh, then added a little more diced tomato - and voila - tabbouleh that looked homemade!

What we did was melt a little cheese onto a lebanese bread round, top with the meatballs, then add to your own liking - hommus, sour cream, avocado, tabbouleh and hot sauce.  A very easy dinner indeed!



Now I hear you saying - she made something like 72 meatballs - what happened to all the rest???

There was method to my madness!  I wanted to have extra so that I could put them in the freezer for later, and then turn them into a pizza topping on our next pizza night!!

They will either feature as a Middle Eastern Style Pizza or they may become part of a Meatlovers Pizza!!!

So Dear Readers do you often make extra of something, so that you can freeze it for later, to turn into something else??

8 comments:

  1. Absolutely!!! I make double or triple of everything so that we have an easy dinner the next night, or I will freeze it for a day when I can't be bothered cooking. Cakes and biscuits I make triple just so the family will leave me one to try!!

    I figure it takes no more time to do a double batch but it saves a whole lot of cooking down the track.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the way you can reuse all the leftovers for a new meal the next day! =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Drooling! Fabulous recipe- can't wait to try this one- may have to post on my blog too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum! You bet I do! :P I love it for leftovers mostly though ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. The other day I attempted to make a lemon cake but failed miserably when I realized I had used up all my lemons for the cake and had none left for the frosting. Middle eastern style meatballs look fab!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi there, just visiting from 'theloveofcooking'. This is a great recipe and the idea of freezing the extras is something I regularly do. We will be having meat balls at the weekend :-) Thanks for this. Diane

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just wait for the leftovers pizza!!! Gotta love the pizza - great recycler of all all kinds of leftovers!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cate I have only met one of my blogger friends so far and I now am ready to meet many more. Looking forward to seeing you in France. My sister-in-law lives in Sydney, but we will not be visiting again unless we win the lottery and can afford to fly in comfort!! Diane

    ReplyDelete