WELCOME TO MY KITCHEN










WELCOME TO MY KITCHEN!!
I hope you enjoy the food!!!

Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Sweet Chilli Coconut Skewers

You simply MUST make this dish!!!

The flavours are great - it is really simple - and would be great for entertaining.  What more can I say?

This recipe is featured on the cover of this month's Super Food Ideas - it looks lovely, and tastes even better, and you will never believe it - "The Darlings" ate it without even turning up their noses!  Well they did have the simplified version - didn't have the sauce, or the salad - but I was expecting the tomato sauce to come out and it to be slathered all over the skewers!  In fact they went looking for more skewers - but alas - we all liked them - and there was none going to food shelters or the dog tonight!!


Now you know me, I did make a few alterations along the way - simply because that was all I had in the pantry - so follow the * to find out what I did differently from the recipe.




Sweet Chilli Coconut Skewers


Serves 4

Presoaked bamboo skewers

165ml coconut milk *
1 tbs brown sugar
1 tbs sweet chilli sauce
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground cardamon
2 cloves crushed garlic
1 tsp fish sauce
800g beef rumps steak, trimmed, cut into 2cm cubes **

Combine coconut milk, sugar, sweet chilli sauce, cinnamon, cardamon, garlic and fish sauce in a glass or ceramic bowl.  Add the beef, toss to combine.  Cover.  Refrigerate for 3 hours, if time permits.






Coconut Chilli Sauce

1 tbs roughly chopped roasted unsalted peanuts ***
1 tbs shredded coconut, toasted
1 tbs freshly chopped coriander leaves
1 red chilli, finely chopped (optional)
2 tbs sweet chilli sauce

                              


Make coconut chilli sauce.  Combine peanuts, coconut, coriander, chilli, sweet chilli sauce, and 3 tsp cold water in a bowl ****






Salad

250g cherry tomatoes, quartered
1 lebanese cucumber, diced
1/4 cup coriander leaves, roughly chopped
salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 tbs rice wine vinegar


Toss all salad ingredients together in a smal bowl.

Heat a greased barbeque plate of chargrill on medium high heat.

Thread beef onto the presoaked skewers.  Season with salt and pepper.  Cook for 3-5 minutes each side, or until browned and cooked through.





Drizzle the skewers with the coconut chilli sauce.  Serve with rice and salad.



* I doubled the ingredients for the marinade, with the extra marinade I basted the skewers twice while I was cooking them - giving them an extra coating of flavour!!

** I used approximately 1.2kg of steak - this served 5

*** I used cashews that were roasted and salted - this was all I had.  You may like to double the quantities for this sauce, as it is so nice you will want more!!

**** I simply forgot this step - and I personally don't think you need the water.

This was a great meal.  I also think the flavours would work really well with prawns, or chicken.  Do tell me Dear Readers if you try either of these options before I get a chance to try them - let me know how they go.

I have spent the day in the kitchen using the Thermomix today - we have cooked so many things - you simply will not believe what we have made in such a short time!!!  I can't wait to assemble all our recipes, and start telling you about what we made today

No comments:

Post a Comment