WELCOME TO MY KITCHEN










WELCOME TO MY KITCHEN!!
I hope you enjoy the food!!!

Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Pork with a yummy sauce

First of all thank you to all my Dear Readers and friends that have shared in my excitement at having my recipe in this month's Australian Good Food Magazine.  Just as a by note the sub editor told me "that the food team thought that my dish was delicious and definitely a stand-out recipe that month".  So there you go - if you haven't tried it yet - give it a go.  I'm sure you will love it too!

So onto other food matters.  Last night's dinner was not looking too good.  I had planned to make pork with a Caribbean Pineapple Sauce - sounded good - chili, rum, pineapple!  But it was not to be  - the pineapple had other ideas - it decided to implode!  I have never actually seen a pineapple do this before - usually they go brown on the inside - but this one had just turned to mush on the inside - while still having a pretty regular appearance on the outside - perhaps I should have taken more note that it was oozing juice - I just though that meant it was ripe (I like to buy them a few days in advance to let them ripen a little more on the bench - guess this one had too much!!)

So what was I to do - I had a sick child at home, could not get to the shops, so I had to make do with what I had one hand (luckily as you foodies know - the pantry of a foodie can usually come up with something!!)  So this is what I concocted - and I must say it turned out pretty well.



Pork with Yummy Sauce


Serves 5-6


6 x pork scotch fillets
1/2 cup shao tsing wine
1/2 cup orange marmalade
1 tbs honey
2 cloves crushed garlic
1 tbs finely diced ginger
2 tbs sour cream
salt and freshly ground pepper


In a bowl place the shao tsing wine, marmalade, honey, garlic and ginger.  Combine well, crushing the lumps of marmalade so that you have a even, runny consistency.  Add the pork, and allow to marinade for at least 1 hour, or longer if time permits.


Drain the pork from the marinade, and place the reserved marinade in a saucepan.  Bring the mixture to the boil, and allow it to simmer while you are cooking the steaks.


Heat a frypan over high heat, add a little olive oil, then pan fry the steaks for approximately 5 minutes each side, or until cooked to your liking, and depending on the thickness of the steaks.  If the liquid in the pan becomes too sticky and caramelised, add a little of the reserved marinade to the pan.  When the steaks are cooked to your liking remove them from the pan, and keep warm.


To the frypan add the reserved marinade and the sour cream, heat gently stirring to combine the sour cream evenly into the sauce.  Season with salt and pepper.  Place the steaks back ito the pan and coat them in the sauce.


Serve with crispy baked potato squares, and green vegetable of choice.



For an impromptu dish this turned out really well.  It certainly had good flavour.

So Dear Readers have you ever had to suddenly make changes to a meal and produce something from what you had on hand, and if so what was it.

No comments:

Post a Comment