WELCOME TO MY KITCHEN










WELCOME TO MY KITCHEN!!
I hope you enjoy the food!!!

Saturday, September 25, 2010

Fish In A Bag

Let me preface this with saying that I have made this dish so many times I have lost count - and it has always been great!  That was not to be the case this time though!!

When I usually make this meal I use barramundi, but when I visited the fish shop I thought the price was a little too high, so I decided to try something a little cheaper.  For $10 per kilo cheaper they had some crimson snapper - it looked pretty much the same shape, size etc as the barramundi - that will do.  Never, never again!!  It was the toughest piece of fish that I have ever had!  After I had finished the meal - yes, I ate it - I hate wasting money, I did some research on crimson snapper on the internet.  Yes, it is apparently quite strong smelling, and quite "moderately firm" is how they put it - unless it is cooked with a lot of moisture.  Well you can't have more moisture than when you steam it can you?

I will give you the step by step way to make fish in a bag -just don't use crimson snapper!!


Fish In A Bag


Serves 1


Large handful of baby spinach
1/2 punnet of cherry tomatoes, halved
1 clove crushed garlic
olive oil
1 lemon, sliced
1 piece of fish of choice




Preheat the oven to 180C.


Lay out a large cross of foil.  Into the middle of the cross place the baby spinach.




Place the piece of fish on top of the spinach, then top the fish with the lemon slices.




Place the halved cherry tomatoes in a bowl, toss with the garlic and a small amount of olive oil.  Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.  Place on top of the lemon slices.






Now, tightly enclose the fish with the foil.  Fold in the first layer, then the second layer of the foil.  If needed enclose the whole package in another layer of foil.


Place on a baking tray, and bake in the oven for 10-15 minutes, depending on the thickness of your piece of fish.


After this time you should have a delectably soft, garlickly, lemony piece of fish!!


This is a lovely easy dish to make for one, or more!  Simply modify the amounts!

Just do not use crimson snapper!!!  Pay the extra for barramundi - it's worth it!!

No comments:

Post a Comment