WELCOME TO MY KITCHEN










WELCOME TO MY KITCHEN!!
I hope you enjoy the food!!!

Sunday, September 5, 2010

Corn Fritters with Smoked Salmon & Dill Mayonnaise

When the cooking shows are in full swing and we are sitting there watching them "The Darlings" are always so supportive - "Mum you should be on there - you can do it!!"  I think if I was ever in any doubt I could do it, I more than proved to myself once again that I am not game show contestant material!!

On Friday we had to attend a cocktail party where we had to bring a plate.  Normally this would not be a problem - I have my old stand bys that I make - the salmon frittatas and the chicken dumplings - but there was a spanner in the works this week - no oven!!!  I looked through all the "appetiser/cocktail food recipes - they all seemed to be against me - needed to be made in the oven.  Finally I stumbled on the thought - what about a little "pancake/fritter" type canape??  I can cook them easily!!

Unfortunately I as I seem to do, I bit off more than I could chew - I had to do the grocery shop prior to making the canapes - it was going to be a tight squeeze - but I could do it!  Ha, famous last words!!  I started out OK, but as the time slowly crept away from me, and I saw the deadline looming in front of me, the reasons why I could never be on MasterChef became very obvious.  I start to shake, I am not going to make the deadline, I start doubting myself, I have used the wrong flour - I don't have enough ingredients to remake the recipe, how can I get myself out of this hole - I come up with a new solution, make a second batch, only to have "precious" taste the second batch and tell me that the "crap" ones are better than the replacements, the hands start shaking more - I start swearing (never good TV material!!) - I have to finish these and get myself "dolled" up (how do they makes themselves look so good when they are cooking on TV - I am always in my worst clothes - I always get splashed with oil!!)....... but the end results looked OK! - the fritters that is - not me!!!

Corn Fritters with Smoked Salmon and Dill Mayonaise


Makes approx 30


4 cobs of corn, husk and silk removed (these are the 3/4 cobs - not full cobs)
2/3 cups of self raising flour
2 eggs, lightly whisked
1/2 cup buttermilk
1 small red onion, finely diced
butter, to grease frypan
3/4 cup whole egg mayonnaise (I use light)
1/2 bunch of dill, finely chopped, plus extra for garnish
rind of 1 lemon
salt and freshly ground black pepper
200g smoked salmon, cut into 1 cm strips


Use a small sharp knife to cut down the length of the corn, close to the core, to remove the kernels.  Cook the corn in a saucepan of boiling water for 2-3 minutes, or until tender.  Drain well.


Whisk together the flour and the egg in a bowl.  Gradually add the buttermilk.  Add the corn and onion, stir to combine.  Season with salt and pepper.


Melt a small amount of butter in a frypan over medium heat.  Spoon  approximately a tablespoon of the corn mixture into the frypan, allowing room for spreading.  Cook for 1-2 minutes, or until golden underneath and bubbles start to appear on the surface.  Flip over and cook on the other side for a further 1 minute, or until golden.  Transfer to a rack to cool.  Repeat with remaining batter, regreasing the pan as needed.






To make the mayonnaise  place the mayonnaise, dill, lemon rind, salt and pepper in a bowl, and combine well.


To assemble the fritters, place on a serving platter, top each fritter with a dollop of mayonnaise, then top with a strip of salmon that has been twisted (decoratively), top each salmon strip with a small dill sprig.

The end result......well I am not really sure - I handed the plate in when we arrived - and I never saw them again - either they were incredibly bad, and they were disposed of, or as last time - the staff liked the look of them, and they never made it into the general population!!

They looked pretty anyway!!!  I hope someone enjoyed them!

No comments:

Post a Comment