WELCOME TO MY KITCHEN










WELCOME TO MY KITCHEN!!
I hope you enjoy the food!!!

Saturday, September 18, 2010

Coca Cola Pork Roast

I recently jumped on the bandwagon and purchased something from one of these "discount websites".  It was an offer to buy $200 worth of meat for $99!  Seemed like a good deal - they told what may be in the pack -it all looked good - stuff we would eat.  I reasoned that even if the meat was so-so, it was probably no worse than if I picked up something that was tough from were I currently purchase.

The pack arrived and it was not what may have been included.  When I looked on their website (at their inflated prices) I had only received about $100 worth of meat - so I was probably no better off than if I had purchased it myself (and picked it myself) - now had things that I may or may not want/need at the moment (like a leg of lamb!!).  Included n the pack though was a pork scotch fillet.  Now Dear Readers if you a keen follower of this blog you will know that this happens to be my favourite cut of meat!

What will I do with this scotch fillet?  I wanted to something a little different - so onto the interent I got.  I ended up on the Australian Pork website (www.pork.com.au).  There I found a recipe for Coca Cola Pork Roast.  Looked different - let's give that a go!  I cooked the recipe exactly as they stated, although they were a little ambiguous about what to do with the coca cola liquid after you had simmered the meat in it!!

Here is the recipe as it appears on the Australian Pork website.



Coca Cola Pork Roast


Serves 6


1.2 - 1.5kg pork scotch roast
1 tbs oil
1.2 litres coca cola
pinch all spice
1 tsp coffe ground (I used instant?!)
1 cup brown sugar


To Serve: Rocket Salad and Candied Walnuts (I didn't make the walnuts as I knew no one would eat them - did it change the recipe - nup!)


Preheat the oven to 180C.


Heat the oil in a large saucepan (I like using a saucepan as the meat tends to spit a lot while you are browning it!).  Brown the roast well on all sides.


Pour over the coca cola, then stir in the all spice, coffee and brown sugar.  Mix well.  Reduce the heat and simmer uncovered for 20 minutes, making sure to turn the meat several times to coat well in the sauce.






Place the roast in a baking tray (disposable foil one is best as then there is no mess!!).  Bake for 1 hour.


Remove the roast from the oven and allow to rest for 10 minutes prior to slicing. 


Serve with rocket salad and smashed potatoes.  (Spoon over a little of the "cola" liquid)



Note:  You can replace the coca cola with Marsala or Sherry - but note they want 1.2 litres!!

There was a lot of liquid left over - I spooned small amounts regularly over the roast while it was cooking in the oven.

I think if I ever made this recipe again I would probably halve the amount of liquid.  Sure you would end up with a syrupy liquid - but that would probably be good - it would give the roast a good sweet coating.

No comments:

Post a Comment