WELCOME TO MY KITCHEN










WELCOME TO MY KITCHEN!!
I hope you enjoy the food!!!

Saturday, September 18, 2010

Apricot Chicken

One could be excused for thinking that I may have fallen off the perch this week!  In fact one reader asked me "What's going on - aren't you eating??"  I'm glad someone notices if I don't post - it means there are people out there reading along!!  Thank you Dear Reader!!

Yes, it has been a very slow week in the kitchen this week.  We were away last weekend, and then this week has been marred by a cracked tooth - which made all other things go from my brain (especially the meal I had just eaten) - not that it had anything at all to do with the meal!

Then there were other, what I call "Crap" meals - which my reader asked again - "So what, we don't get to hear about the crap?"   When I say "Crap" I mean a meal pulled together from leftovers from the freezer (which was actually some of the pulled pork - remember that one? - Made into Burritos - Yum!!)  Then there was the other recipe that was not a huge success - but I think that had more to do with the meat than the recipe - that was Coca Cola pork.

Last night we went out for Greek food - so once again - no dinner cooked.  I must tell you about that meal.  It was what they termed a "claypot" dish - duck breast cooked with cinnamon and honey, with apricots and strawberries.  PLEASE, if one of you have a recipe for a meal like this I have to have it!!  I have googled and googled - but come up with nothing!!  I even asked them for the recipe last night - but to no avail.  Oh to describe the dish - succulent meat that was so tender it was falling apart in a deliciously sweet sauce.  Heaven!!  NQN - do you have a recipe???  It seems to be a regular on the menu at this restaurant, as it was several years ago that I had it, and it is still as good as I remembered! The restaurant (if you are interested) is The Claypot Restaurant at Gordon - so if anyone knows anyone who may be able to get the recipe - please do!!!

So in the interests of keeping up with "my postings" here are the recipes for this week.



Apricot Chicken
Serves 4
(Adapted from the CSIRO Cookbook)


2 tbs plain flour
1 tbs Moroccan Spice Mix
1.2 kg chicken thigh cutlets, trimmed, skin removed, cut into cubes
1 tbs olive oil
1 onion, finely diced
3 cloves crushed garlic
4 springs fresh thyme
1 x 400ml apricot nectar
150g dried apricots, chopped
1/2 -1 cup chicken stock


Combine the flour and spice mix in a large bowl, then add the chicken cubes, and mix to coat the chicken with the flour and spice mix.


Heat the olive oil in a large heavy based saucepan over medium high heat and brown the chicken.  Remove from the pan and set aside. 


Add the garlic and the onion to the pan and stir for approximately 5 minutes, or until the onion has softened.  Add the thyme, apricot nectar, apricots and half the stock.  Bring to a simmer.  Return the chicken to the pan and simmer for approximately 20-25 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through and tender.  Add more chicken stock if the mixture become too dry.


Serve with rice and steamed vegetables.


So as you see nothing there to break a tooth over!!  Just have to put that down to "old age" I think!

This really was a lovely take on an old classic (remember the one that your Mum used to make with the Apricot Nectar and French Onion soup mix??)  This is so much better!!!  Not what you would call a world class meal - but good healthy "comfort food".  Try it - but if you do break a tooth don't blame me!!!!


So Dear Readers do you have slow weeks in the kitchen - weeks where you are just not motivated, where you just pull things together and hope for the best?  What do you feed people when you yourself don't feel like eating, but you know the hungry masses will revolt if you don't feed them?  Please tell.

1 comment:

  1. Pasta bake it always an easy meal I like to put together when I dont feel like getting in the kitchen.

    ReplyDelete