WELCOME TO MY KITCHEN










WELCOME TO MY KITCHEN!!
I hope you enjoy the food!!!

Friday, July 2, 2010

Paprika Chicken

You know I thought that the recipes that we find in magazines are supposed to be triple tested???

Sometimes I have just got to wonder.  The recipe I made last night couldn't have been, I'm sure.  I found this recipe in the Very Useful Winter Book that was a supplement recently with Good Taste.  Admittedly the recipe was part of an "Eastern European Feast" - but really, one chicken drumstick per person!!! Also the amount of sauce that I had when I had doubled the number of pieces of chicken was still way too much!!!  Anyway, that's what I am here for - to tell you how I made it - and what you should do next time!!!

So here is the recipe as it was printed in the magazine.




Paprika Chicken


Serves 8 (as part of a feast!!)


1/4 cup plain flour
1 tablespoon paprika
8 large chicken drumsticks, skin removed (see tip on recipe for Oven "Fried" Chicken)
25g butter
2 tbs olive oil
2 brown onions, finely diced
2 cloves crushed garlic
2 tsp caster sugar
2 x 400g cans diced italian tomatoes
1 cup water
1 bay leaf
1 cup (235g) sour cream


Combine flour and paprika in a large bowl **. Season with salt and pepper.  Add the chicken and gently toss to coat evenly in the flour mixture.


Melt butter in a large flameproof casserole dish over medium heat until foaming.  Add the chicken and cook, turning occasionally, for 5-10 minutes or until brown all over.  Use a slotted spoon to transfer chicken to a heatproof bowl.


Heat oil in the casserole dish over medium heat.  Add onion and garlic and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until onion softens.  Add sugar and cook, stirring for 1 minute or until well combined.  Add chicken, tomato, water and bay leaf, and bring to the boil.  Reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, for 1 hour, or until chicken is cooked through.  Add sour cream and stir to combine.  Cook covered for a further 15 minutes or until chicken is tender.  

Now here is what I did:

** Put the flour and paprika and seasonings in a large plastic bag - it makes it so much easier - and no mess to clean up - throw the bag away!!

I did not use the butter - why add the saturated fat I say - I used small amounts of olive oil.

I cooked the chicken in the oven, covered for 1 hour (at 180 degrees).

I used 15 drumsticks - I work on the principle that each person will eat 2-3 each!  Based on this I did not increase the amount of tomatoes, or liquid - yet I still found that there was too much liquid for the amount of chicken.  I think next time I would not add the water, or perhaps check during cooking and add if needed.   I also used light sour cream.

I served the chicken with boiled risoni pasta and steamed broccoli and green beans.

There is a litmus test that I use in this house as to the success of a dish - it's how much tomato sauce is added by "The Darlings".  Last night quite a bit was added.  The dish was good - but not great.  Perhaps a little more seasoning, a little less sauce and it would be perfect!!!

You try it and be the judge - I could be completely off base here - perhaps if I hadn't "tweaked" it and had used the butter and cooked it on the stove top that would have made the difference??

So Dear Readers let me know how you fare with this dish.

No comments:

Post a Comment